Welcome to Bassenthwaite Lake
Bassenthwaite Lake is home to an amazing variety of wildlife, including its world famous ospreys. But this National Nature Reserve is under threat.
Water quality is poor, seriously affecting the wildlife, as a result we need to manage the land carefully because what goes onto the land goes into the lake.
The Bassenthwaite Lake Restoration Programme (BLRP) is taking action on the threats to the lake. We want the water in the lake to be as clean and clear as it was in the 1940s. It's going to take us about 20 years to do this by:
• Sorting out the water quality - by using better treatment plants on farms and sewage treatment works.
• Working together - by encouraging residents and businesses to care for the environment.
• Sharing information and telling people - to make sure people know what's happening.
• Digging deeper - by trying to discover more details about the lake and its surroundings.
• Learning - by exploring everything we can to protect and improve the lake in the future.
This website will help you to find out more about the habitat of this unique place, threats to Bassenthwaite Lake, the actions being taken to help protect it and how to enjoy the lake responsibly.